1) a thriving eastside,
2) a just, equitable, and SAFE Athens,
3) a walkable, bike-able, bus-able Athens, and
4) a green Athens with a transition to renewable energy in the next few decades.
5) [and just added …..] a resilient Athens, that can pull together and recover from the public health and economic crisis that the coronavirus has brought us. [Details still being developed]
A thriving Eastside
- Support existing Eastside businesses, and encourage more to locate here.
- Ensure that we build a quality Eastside library. (* SPLOST 2020 passed with funding for an Eastside library but its location, design, services, etc. must still be advocated for.)
- Serve Eastside youth and adults with quality recreation programs.
- Re-evaluate zoning ordinances to encourage more affordable housing.
- Add tree cover and shade to make our streets more comfortable and beautiful.
- Assure that our 911 emergency response services are the best they can be.
- Explore developing a farmers market for the Eastside.
- Be responsive to constituent needs.
A more equitable and just community
- Work hard at local level to reduce the poverty rate in Athens.
- Advocate for more ambitious state and federal programs to make the economy work for lower and middle income Athenians.
- Support African-American businesses and community efforts, and acknowledge historical injustices.
- Create a welcoming community for all, including respecting the rights of our LatinX immigrants.
- Enhance community policing efforts that build trust between neighborhoods and police officers.
- Reform criminal justice system so fewer young people get trapped in the school-to-prison pipeline; create more productive options for youth.
- Decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana
Walkability! Bike lanes! Better buses! Safer streets!
- Move forward with newly adopted Athens in Motion Bike and Pedestrian Plan.
- Adopt a strong community “complete streets” policy to make our streets safer for kids, grandparents and everyone in between.
- Ensure that Athens Transit gets buses to those who depend on them to get to work and offers fare-free rides for as many as possible.
- Build shaded bus stops with seating throughout the county.
- Implement a “Vision Zero” goal of reducing traffic fatalities and serious injuries to zero.
- Establish a Bike Share program for the larger community.
The “Greening” of Athens
- Keep Athens on track with its 100% Clean Energy Resolution, including its commitment to equity and local green jobs;
- Transition local government’s energy sources away from fossil fuels to clean power like solar, wind, and hydropower by 2035.
- Protect Athens’ watershed and ensure clean drinking water.
- Make all our government buildings as energy efficient as possible.
- Convert our fleets of buses, maintenance trucks, and police cars to hybrid and then electric power sources.
- Encourage local businesses, industries, hospitals, and colleges to commit to 100% renewable by 2050.
- Work with homeowners to encourage energy efficiency and clean power use, and make this affordable for low-income households.